As people age it is common to develop small spider veins, which are also called reticular veins. These are thin, fragile veins close to the surface of the skin. These veins, as well as other varicosities, can be accentuated by pregnancy, aging, and spending excessive time standing. These veins are used as “alternative roads” for blood flow when the main veins have a difficult time returning blood to the heart due to valve incompetence or overload.When superficial veins are forced to handle a larger amount of blood flow, they become more prominent.
Reticular veins are an aesthetic issue. One treatment used for spider veins is sclerotherapy. During the treatment procedure, the surgeon will visualize the spider veins on the surface with a special light. The surgeon will then use a syringe and inject a medicated solution into the veins. The solution irritates the walls of the veins and causes the veins to contract and the blood to clot. This will cause the vein to shrink and the prominence of the vessel will fade. Blood flow will simply be re-routed through other veins. Patients will need to wear support stockings for at least two weeks, but are otherwise able to go about their normal activities immediately after the procedure. Some patients, particularly those with darker skin, may notice a discoloration. This can fade or may require subsequent laser treatment. Other patients may have small hematomas that require drainage in the office.
The following is for patients considering Sclerotherapy.
What should you do the day BEFORE Sclerotherapy treatment?
- Purchase medium-grade compression stockings
- Do not shave your legs or use lotion on your legs
- Bring a pair of shorts to wear during your procedure
What happens ON THE DAY of your Sclerotherapy treatment?
- After the treating physician explains the risks and benefits of sclerotherapy, you will provide consent for the procedure
- The physician will examine your veins and determine a treatment plan tailored to you
- The treatment areas will be cleaned with antiseptic
- A fine needle is used to inject the medicated solution into your veins
- Slight stinging may occur with each injection
- You may see initial clearing of treated vein, followed by return of blood flow to the area
- After each injection, a small pressure dressing is used, which may be removed in the evening
What should you do AFTER your Sclerotherapy treatment?
- Graduated compression 2-3 days continuously after treatment and then for 2-3 during the daytime
- Walk 15-20 minutes immediately after treatment, then daily for a few days
- AVOID for 2-3 days: heavy exercise, sunbathing, long plane flights, and hot bath
- Please note that the skin may look irritated or bruised after treatment, which is normal. It should subside with time
- If a brown colored pigmentation is seen, this is normal. This may take weeks to months to resolve
- Additional treatments may be needed for complete results to be seen
Sclerotherapy has been used by vascular surgeons for quite some time with excellent results. Dr. Jenna Kazil is a magnificent vascular surgeon with tremendous experience with a wide variety of cosmetic vein procedures. Dr. Kazil is a brilliant general and vascular surgical specialist who sees cosmetic vein patients from South Sarasota to East Desoto and Hardee, to North Hillsborough and Pinellas, to West Manatee counties at the Florida Surgical Clinic. Dr. J. Kazil who has a tremendous amount of experience treating spider veins with sclerotherapy, is a kind and compassionate surgeon who understands a patient’s perspective and emotional needs while enduring cosmetic vein procedure from diagnosis to recovery. Dr. Kazil understands that their appearance can create a serious quality of life issue for her patients and handles every patient’s case with the attention and compassion that they deserve. Jenna Kazil, MD, FACS, RPVI is also the only female vascular and general surgeon in Desoto, Hardee, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Manatee, and Sarasota counties. Anyone requiring a cosmetic vein procedure should contact the Florida Surgical Clinic for all their surgical needs.